Monday, October 29, 2012

During lunch earlier today, the uncle who took my order put an ash tray in front of me on my table. These were my thoughts that follow:

1) Do I have a smoker face painted on me? (being defensive)
2) Maybe he assumes people who enjoy black coffee also enjoy smoking. (intellectualizing)
3) Perhaps it's just good customer service just in case I smoke. (positive thinking)
4) Most likely he just did it on a whim.
5) Later in the evening, I definitely think too much.

On a separate note, this is a video on TED by Brene Brown: The power of vulnerability to share. I enjoy this video and find the word 'vulnerability' fascinating. To me, vulnerability has a negative connotation and implies helplessness. I would prefer the word 'surrender', borrowed from The Steps of Surrendering by bestselling writer Deepak Chopra. If I understand Brene correctly, to be vulnerable is to surrender. However, to surrender, we need not be vulnerable.

No comments: