Saturday, April 19, 2014

Bribery and Giving Tips

Earlier today I was given a ticket from the police for parking my car at KLIA. When I saw the policeman, I quickly rushed towards him and asked him for a chance. He said it was too late and continued writing the summon.

Then he asked what I do, where I stay and what I do. I asked him how much does the ticket cost and he said RM150. I asked if I can get a discount if I settle early. He said no and there's late payment charges. Later, he continued to say he can help to settle for only RM50. Openly, he asked for a bribe.

Lying and bribing are two things which I am strongly against. I told him I will settle myself but forgot to thank him for not accepting bribes. In this world, bribery is so rampant that sometimes people just bribe to get away with things or get things done their way...fast. And I think that the giver is worse than the receiver thought both are just bad.

Many years ago, someone asked if I consider giving tips as wrong. I quickly answered no and asked why. He then explained how tipping is similar to bribery. I agree with him in the sense that people who give tips or tip more will enjoy better service than others. But then again, why should we not do our best and give our best service regardless of the rewards? At the end of the day, we are the ones who sow what we reap.

No comments: