Friday, February 28, 2014

Water Heater Installation DIY

As a curious guy, I attempted to replace the damaged water heater myself. I could have just replaced the damaged motor pump but decided to get a new one instead. After checking the old unit, I happily negotiated for a good price and bought a brand new water heater.

When I got home, the installation was more complicated than I expected. The location to mount the screws and the water inlet and outlet are different from the old one. Not having a drill, I tried to poke some holes by hammering a nail. I gave up in less than 5 minutes.

Next, I went looking for some renovator doing work nearby to save cost. Found myself an Indonesian worker and brought him back with a drill. Perhaps it was communication breakdown. Instead of drilling a hole, he drilled the wall. I was stunned for a moment and stopped him before further damage.

He clearly did not know what to do. In the end, he also use the hammering method to make the hole for screws. After mounting the water heater, we need to connect the pipes. That was also a semi disaster. To cut a long story short, the pipes was connected but with leakage. Now, I have to go and find some waterproof tape to stop the leaking.

After sending him back, I asked him how much does he want for the service rendered. He said any amount will do. I still paid him a fair price although the job was not well done. I felt sorry for him for having to leave his wife and child back home in a village. He had to sleep in the houses where the renovation is done and earning only a meager wage. I feel that in many ways, he is being oppressed and enslaved.

I don't think I'm kind because I only treated him the same way I wanted to be treated. I, too, want God to be always be merciful to me and forgiving towards my shortcomings. Besides, I would never want to be in his position; living his life.

O CHILDREN OF MEN! Know ye not why We created you all from the same dust? That no one should exalt himself over the other. Ponder at all times in your hearts how ye were created. Since We have created you all from one same substance it is incumbent on you to be even as one soul, to walk with the same feet, eat with the same mouth and dwell in the same land, that from your inmost being, by your deeds and actions, the signs of oneness and the essence of detachment may be made manifest. Such is My counsel to you, O concourse of light! Heed ye this counsel that ye may obtain the fruit of holiness from the tree of wondrous glory.

The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh

No comments: