Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Courage to Make Mistakes

Courage was never a value I learn from young. The same goes for making mistakes. In school, I was taught to get the right answers and score in exams. Making mistakes was not valued.

Ironically, to get the right answers, sometimes we need to know the wrong ones. How do we know what is right and what is wrong? As they say, good judgments come from experience and experience comes from bad judgments. We can always learn from other people's experience but its never the same experiencing ourselves. Just because everybody says something is not right doesn't mean it is definitely not right. For example, back in those days, people used to think that Earth is the center of the universe. Today, we know that our Mother Earth revolves round the sun.

Curiosity is alluring and I want to remain a curious cat who keep questioning. Of course, there's also a saying that goes, "Curiosity kills the cat". So, I pray for courage. I pray for courage so that I shall walk a path less traveled by. In other words, dare to be different and do what others are not willing to do. I also pray for courage to speak my mind and do what I believe is right. The latter has proven to be much more challenging.

Well, what that's worth doing is worth doing after all. If I make mistakes, I wish for people around me to open my eyes and the wisdom to learn from the mistakes. So, I hope not to be perfect but for courage to make mistakes and learn from them. 

No comments: