Thursday, September 13, 2012

Winner Never Cheats?

Started reading the book, Winner Never Cheat by Jon M. Huntsman. The title itself is intriguing and the fact that the book is written by a self-made billionaire makes it a must read for me.

There is an except which elicited my attention. Huntsman was telling a story when he was 10 years old and making about 50 cents a day selling and delivering the local newspaper.

"I entered the store while on my route one day and no one seemed to be around. Ice cream sandwiches had just come on the market. It was hot and I wanted to try one. I reached inside the small freezer and grabbed an ice cream bar. I slipped the wrapped sandwich into my pocket. Moments later, Mrs. Edwards appeared, asking if she could me.

"No, thanks," I answered politely and headed for the door. Just before it slammed shut, I heard her say, "Jon, are you going to pay for that ice cream sandwich?" Embarrassed, I turned around and sheepishly walked back to the freezer where my slightly shaking hand returned the ice cream sandwich to its rightful place, Mrs. Edwards never said another word."

I like this except because I can related to a past experience back when 8 or 9. Back then, I was observing the class teacher asking for the owners of the stationery dropped and found in the class. The stationery found were never mine and the younger me thought to myself, "Do those stuff really belong to people who raised their hands?"

The simple-minded me decided to give a try on a decent looking plastic ruler and raised my hand. Obviously, the rightful owner also raised his hand and challenged that my ruler is a wooden one. I felt embarrassed. Couldn't remember how I found my way out but it was a priceless lesson learned.

Moral of the story is, it is wrong to take that which doesn't belong to us.

No comments: